Tuesday, November 9, 2010

weekend stuff

Happy Monday Tuesday to ya.  I have to say that while the weekend was not restful, it was very full and enjoyable.  O always gets home a little late on Friday nights, so I met up with some friends for soup, sandwiches and salad after work.  We got a few projects done or started rather, on Saturday.  That light from West Elm will be hung in the dining room soon.  I swear!  O ordered this wallpaper for the guest room.  We are rushing to get it finished before Thanksgiving because Jules and fam will spend a night with us before we head down to Price town for the festivities.  I made butternut squash soup on Saturday afternoon so O would have something delicious for dinner.  I will post the recipe sometime because it really is good! I went to the blue lemon with some of my girlfriends for dinner on Saturday night. We wondered around downtown just laughing and talking and ended up going to Red Rock brewery for dessert...love those girls.  I was so involved in conversation that I didn't take any pictures. boo.  We were sitting in church on Sunday and I kept thinking that something about my outfit felt funny.  Something just felt off or weird.  We went to our Sunday school class that we teach and in the middle of teaching the lesson I realized what was wrong with me.  I forgot to wear a bra.  Yes, the girls were hanging loose and free.  Oh well.  On Sunday night we had O's dad and step mom over for dinner in celebration of their birthday's.  O made flourless chocolate cake that puts my flourless chocolate cake to shame.  I will use his recipe from now on.( he made it while I was out on Saturday night and lets just say it took me a while to clean up the chocolate mess he made!)  I made lasagna and salad and we had some sour dough bread with it.  By 9:00 on Sunday we crashed in front of a movie and went to bed. 
the end.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

1/2 c water
1 1/3 c sugar
4 oz high quality semi sweet baking chocolate, chopped fine
8 oz high quality bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped fine
1 c unsalted butter cut into small pieces and brought to room temperature
5 extra large eggs or 6 large eggs at room temperature

Preheat to 350 degrees
Butter a 9 inch, round spring form pan and line it with a piece of parchment paper cut round to fit.

In a heavy saucepan, combine the water with 1 cup of the sugar.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Boil for 4 minutes, or until it is 220 degrees Fahrenheit.  Take the pan off the heat and immediately add the chocolate pieces, stirring until they are melted and smooth.  If the mixture stiffens, don't worry it will loosen up again when you add the butter.  Add the butter immediately, bit by bit, stirring until all of is used.

Place the eggs and the remaining 1/3 c sugar in a bowl and beat with a mixer on high speed for 15 minutes. Turn the mixer down to low, add the chocolate mixture stirring only until it is fully incorporated.  Do not over beat or air bubbles with form.

Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake pan.  Set the pan in a slightly larger baking pan and pour boiling water around it.  Do not allow the sides of the pans to touch.  Place the cake in the oven and bake  it for 25 minutes.  Insert a knife in to the center of the cake.  If it comes our clean, the cake is done.  If it doesn't, continue baking for up to 10 minutes.  Don't bake the cake longer than 35 minutes.

Remove the pan from the water bath and immediately unmold it onto a cookie sheet.  Remove parchment paper.   Invert a serving plate over the cake and turn it right side up onto the serving plate.  Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream! 




Lasagna

boil 9 lasagna noodles  ( I never cook them all the way, because they continue to cook in the oven)

brown
1/2 lb ground bison (you can use ground beef if you want)
1/2 lb hot pork sausage
1/2 c onion
1 clove garlic

add to browned meat and simmer
16 oz can diced tomatoes (i use the ones with Italian seasoning)
8 oz can tomato sauce
6 oz can tomato paste
2 tsp basil

Mix in separate bowl
2 eggs
2 1/2 c cottage cheese
3/4 c Parmesan
2 tbs parsley
1 lb mozzarella


Spray a 9x13 glass pan
spread just a little of the tomato mixture in the bottom of the pan to keep the noodle from sticking
layer noodles, sauce, cheese 3 times
bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes




1 comment:

  1. Hang on girls - your mama forgot ya! Hey, I made Lasagne too. I fed it to Dad and his riding buddies after their fun in the desert but they didn't eat it all so it has been our 'meal of the week' AND I am kinda sick of it. Of course O's choco cake makes me drool just looking at it. Yum

    ReplyDelete