Friday, February 19, 2010

The Sugar Cookie Recipe

Here is the sugar cookie recipe some of you have been asking for. I got it from the Grandmother of a friend many years ago.

2 cups sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 cups flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup shortening
3 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
milk to make dough soft (3/4 c)

Mix together and chill. Roll out dough and cut with a cookie cutter. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Do not over bake!

Just a note: When I roll my dough out I keep it very thick so that my cookies come out thick and puffy. Don't be scared to add more flour to the dough as you go if it is too sticky!


Have a good weekend...

2 comments:

  1. BEST SUGAR COOKIES IN THE WORLD! This recipe has made many wonderful pumpkins, Christmas trees, stars, valentine hearts, and other delicious cut-out cookies for our family, with great and treasured memories to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just printed this recipe and I can't wait to make it! THANKS!! (I made sugar cookies for Vday and they sucked rocks) Now I never have to make that recipe again!!

    ReplyDelete