Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Good Eats.


Fruited Israeli Couscous


2 tsp butter
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 c dried currants
1/2 c diced dried apricots
1/2 tsp salt
3 (14 oz) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
3 cinnamon sticks
2 1/2 c uncooked Israeli couscous
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute 5 minutes. Stir in currants, apricots, salt, broth, and cinnamon sticks; bring to a boil. Add couscous, and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Let couscous mixture stand 5 minutes. Discard cinnamon sticks. Stir in cilantro. Yield: 12 servings.

I made this recipe last night and I think it is delicious!!! The recipe is from Cooking Light magazine. I got my Israeli couscous and currants at Whole Foods. They didn't have either at Smith's Marketplace. The Israeli couscous is very different from the regular stuff. Much bigger. Feels almost like tapioca. It is very simple to make and tastes great.

1 comment:

  1. My mom is so into couscous right now, seriously! I will show her this Thanks!
    -Cousin Becca

    ReplyDelete